Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The start of a new school year

Wow, where has the summer gone?  School will be starting here soon.  Its a bittersweet time for me, because I'm no longer homeschooling my daughter.  She graduated high school this past June.  It seems strange not to be engrossed in homeschooling catalogs; such as, Rainbow Resources.  I just LOVE that one!  Its so thick, packed with everything and anything you can imagine.  I was able to find interesting books, not just some boring text books.  I made learning fun for my daughter.  Her strengths were in history, art, home ec, and reading.  When she was in sixth grade, she was offered a position being a tour guide for a historical village we visited.  Can you believe that one?  A sixth grader!!!  The tour guide said that they preferred to hire homeschoolers, because they seemed to have more historical knowledge and were more dependable and reliable.  I guess I did something right in homeschooling her!

My daughter decided to take some time off before going down the college road.  I did the same thing.  I got a job to earn some money for school and what not and also to decide what it was that I wanted to do.  She does have things going to keep her busy.  She has an Etsy shop (www.VampireTales.etsy.com ) when she sells gothic type jewelry.  The two of us have an Etsy shop also (www.JustUsGirlsStudio.etsy.com ) where we sell jewelry.  So between designing jewelry for two shops and all that is entailed in running them, she will be looking for a job.  She is really hoping to get into Hobby Lobby.  She likes the store and buys supplies there, so its a "win win" situation.  She is also going to be looking into other avenues for selling her jewelry.  Etsy is just so saturated, its hard to be seen.  To be honest, sales are non-existant, so trying to get some business...somewhere...is going to be taking a front seat.  We've heard about fashion designers have some of their lines on Ebay (not for auction, but set prices), so we're going to be looking into it.  Its hard to see a young person have a dream, working to see it come true, and struggling.

Well, I started off here in talking about the start of school being just around the corner.  Here is my line of school related items:







This is my Teacher's Door Wreath, my "A is for Apple Country Bears" wall hanging, and my Educational Teaching Wall Hanging.  I think the wall hangings could be hung in a child's playroom and a school setting.  I think the Educational Teaching wall hanging would be great for homeschoolers.  It features all of the states (around the border) with their capitals and each state's industry.  Any of these items would make a great Christmas gift for a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment